Tuesday, 18 August 2026

Qatar Says Airspace Secure and Flights Managed Safely Despite Rising Regional Threats

Published: Tuesday, March 24, 2026
Qatar Says Airspace Secure and Flights Managed Safely Despite Rising Regional Threats

Qatar’s civil aviation authorities have reaffirmed that the country’s air transport system remains stable and under full control, despite escalating regional tensions and increased threats to aviation safety.

In remarks to Qatar News Agency, Mohammed bin Faleh Al Hajri, Acting President of the Qatar Civil Aviation Authority, said flight operations are continuing in line with strict safety and efficiency standards, even as security challenges intensify across the region.

Authorities adopted a phased crisis response based on ongoing risk evaluations. This strategy allowed for a partial reopening of airspace on March 7, following an earlier precautionary shutdown. Since then, flights have resumed on a limited scale through designated corridors, under tight supervision and in coordination with military authorities.

Al Hajri noted that recent Iranian strikes have had a direct impact on aviation conditions, increasing risks linked to drones, missile activity and falling debris. He also highlighted operational concerns such as aircraft misidentification and navigation through restricted or high-risk zones.

In response, Qatar has treated its airspace as a highly sensitive environment. Flight operations have been confined to approved routes with controlled capacity. Initial efforts focused on evacuation and cargo missions, before gradually expanding to include essential passenger services to maintain supply chains and connectivity.

Close coordination between QCAA and Qatar Airways has helped support stranded travelers and ensure the steady movement of critical goods into the country.

A series of contingency measures have also been introduced. These include updates to emergency protocols, stricter air traffic procedures and expanded reliance on international maintenance providers. Qatar Airways was authorized to operate maintenance facilities abroad to assist a total of 188 aircraft affected by the situation.

At Hamad International Airport, precautionary steps included relocating aircraft to safer zones, redeploying firefighting teams and temporarily halting construction on one runway. Emergency guidance has also been issued to direct passengers and staff in case of incidents.

Security measures have been intensified, with continuous communication channels, increased patrols and enhanced inspection protocols. Authorities are also monitoring potential risks such as debris and sharing regulatory guidance with the International Civil Aviation Organization and regional partners on managing airport safety during conflict situations.

Al Hajri said risk management is being handled through a structured, institution-wide approach, involving constant monitoring and mitigation steps. These include the use of designated air corridors, prior approvals for each flight, coordination between civil and military bodies, strengthened fuel planning and the identification of alternative airports.

He added that Qatar’s airspace security relies on a multi-layered system, including advanced radar coverage, real-time flight tracking and strict aircraft separation standards, supported by direct coordination with military operations centers.

Emergency plans have been activated across all aviation sectors. Measures include reducing access points at airport facilities, limiting on-site staff to essential personnel and implementing evacuation procedures where necessary. Air navigation systems have also been adapted to manage traffic efficiently during disruptions, including rerouting flights and operating within controlled time windows.

The QCAA continues to conduct regular emergency drills and simulations, covering scenarios such as airspace closures and communication failures, to maintain preparedness and improve response capabilities.

Concluding his remarks, Al Hajri stressed that aviation safety remains the country’s top priority. He said all operational decisions are guided by detailed risk assessments and close coordination with national authorities, underscoring Qatar’s ability to manage complex and high-risk situations effectively.

Source: The Peninsula

Akasa Air Secures Sale-and-Leaseback Deal for Seven Boeing 737-8200s

Published: Sunday, August 16, 2026
Akasa Air Secures Sale-and-Leaseback Deal for Seven Boeing 737-8200s

DUBLIN: Aircraft leasing company Avolon has announced a sale-and-leaseback agreement covering up to seven Boeing 737-8200 aircraft with Indian airline Akasa Air.

Under the arrangement announced on August 14, 2026, Akasa Air will sell aircraft from its existing order book to Avolon and lease them back. The structure allows the airline to release capital for other business needs while continuing to operate the aircraft.

The Boeing 737-8200, also known as the 737-8-200, is the highest-density configuration of the Boeing 737 MAX 8 family. The aircraft is certified to accommodate as many as 210 passengers.

Akasa Air operates the aircraft with 197 seats in a single-class configuration. The Indian carrier currently has 17 Boeing 737-8200 aircraft in its fleet.

Akasa Air became the first airline in Asia to operate the 737-8200 in 2023. The latest transaction will allow the carrier to maintain operational use of the aircraft while strengthening its financial flexibility as it continues to expand.

Source: Aero time

EasyJet Cabin Crew Strike in France Forces Around 100 Flight Cancellations

Published: Sunday, August 16, 2026
EasyJet Cabin Crew Strike in France Forces Around 100 Flight Cancellations

PARIS: Cabin crew working for British low-cost airline EasyJet in France began a two-day strike on Saturday, demanding better working conditions and more predictable schedules.

The walkout was called by unions representing EasyJet’s France-based cabin crew after negotiations over employee schedules ended without an agreement, French broadcaster BFMTV reported.

Unions said unpredictable working patterns had placed significant physical and mental strain on employees. They are seeking changes aimed at improving working conditions for cabin crew.

The industrial action is expected to disrupt EasyJet operations across France, with around 100 flights scheduled for the weekend reportedly canceled as a result of the strike.

Reports put participation among EasyJet cabin crew in France at 68%, highlighting the scale of the labor action.

The strike is scheduled to continue for two days as unions press the airline for changes to scheduling practices and broader improvements to working conditions.

Source: Anadolu Ajansı

flynas Expands Fleet to 68 Aircraft with New Airbus A320neo Delivery

Published: Sunday, August 16, 2026
flynas Expands Fleet to 68 Aircraft with New Airbus A320neo Delivery

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia: Saudi low-cost airline flynas has added a new Airbus A320neo to its fleet, supporting the carrier’s expansion strategy while introducing another aircraft equipped with its latest-generation cabin.

The latest delivery brings the flynas fleet to 68 Airbus aircraft, comprising 62 A320neo jets, two A330s and four A320ceo aircraft.

The aircraft is the second in the airline’s fleet to feature the new-generation cabin, which was introduced earlier this year. The cabin is designed to improve passenger comfort while supporting greater operational efficiency and lower fuel consumption.

The new seats, developed in partnership with Safran, include integrated smartphone and tablet holders, high-speed USB-A and USB-C charging ports with a 60-watt capacity, larger meal tables, dedicated storage for books and magazines, and coat hooks.

Premium-class seats also feature additional legroom, adjustable headrests and a center-seat divider aimed at providing greater comfort for passengers.

The A320neo’s improved fuel efficiency compared with previous-generation aircraft is expected to reduce fuel consumption and operational emissions per seat. The addition therefore supports flynas’ wider sustainability program alongside its fleet growth plans.

The latest aircraft also reflects the airline’s efforts to enhance the onboard experience as it expands its network and responds to growing demand for air travel in Saudi Arabia.

Source: QCAA

Air Arabia Profit Falls 51% as Regional Conflict Disrupts Operations

Published: Saturday, August 15, 2026
Air Arabia Profit Falls 51% as Regional Conflict Disrupts Operations

DUBAI: Air Arabia reported a 51% decline in first-half net profit to AED 374 million ($102 million), as the Middle East and North Africa’s largest low-cost airline faced significant operational and cost pressures from the ongoing regional conflict.

For the six months ended June 30, 2026, revenue fell 1% to AED 3.48 billion, compared with AED 3.52 billion during the same period last year.

The airline carried more than 8.7 million passengers across its operating hubs, a 14% year-on-year decline. Despite the reduction, its average seat load factor remained at 83%, indicating continued demand for its services despite disruptions to operations.

The impact was more pronounced in the second quarter. Net profit dropped 77% to AED 96 million, while revenue declined 3% to AED 1.68 billion. Passenger traffic fell 23% to more than 3.9 million, reflecting reduced capacity, while the average seat load factor stood at 81%.

Air Arabia said its performance was significantly affected by the regional conflict, which began in February and disrupted aviation operations throughout the remainder of the first half.

Multiple airspace closures, temporary operational restrictions and reduced capacity affected the airline’s network, while record-high fuel prices added to operating costs.

Sheikh Abdullah Bin Mohammad Al Thani, Chairman of Air Arabia, said the airline’s ability to remain profitable despite the disruption demonstrated the resilience of its business model and financial position.

He said the carrier focused on preserving network connectivity, adapting operations to changing conditions and maintaining strict cost controls while protecting operational efficiency.

Despite the difficult operating environment, Air Arabia continued expanding its fleet and network during the first half of the year.

The airline added six aircraft, bringing its fleet to 96 owned and leased Airbus A320 and A321 aircraft. It also introduced five new routes across its hubs in the UAE, Morocco, Egypt and Pakistan.

In June, Air Arabia was named “Most Sustainable Low-Cost Airline in the MENA Region 2026” by World Finance Magazine as part of its annual Sustainability Awards Programme.

Sheikh Abdullah said the airline remained confident in its underlying business strength as market conditions improve. He added that Air Arabia would continue focusing on responsible network expansion, financial discipline and its value-focused offering while seeking to create sustainable long-term value for stakeholders.

Source: TradeArabia

Turkish Airlines Expands China Network with New Chengdu Route

Published: Saturday, August 15, 2026
Turkish Airlines Expands China Network with New Chengdu Route

Turkish Airlines will expand its network in mainland China with the launch of scheduled flights to Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan Province, from November 11, 2026.

Chengdu will become the airline’s fourth destination in mainland China after Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. The new service will provide a direct link between the Chinese city, Türkiye and Turkish Airlines’ wider international network.

With a population of more than 21 million, Chengdu is one of China’s major metropolitan centers and an important hub for trade, logistics and finance. The city is also home to multinational companies operating in sectors including electronics, automotive, aviation, biotechnology and artificial intelligence.

The city has also gained global recognition for its culinary culture. UNESCO has designated Chengdu a “City of Gastronomy,” while attractions such as the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding draw millions of visitors each year.

Turkish Airlines CEO Ahmet Olmuştur said China remains an important strategic market for the carrier and that the Chengdu service would further strengthen its presence in the country.

He said the new route is expected to support stronger commercial, cultural and tourism connections between Türkiye and China.

Turkish Airlines will operate three weekly flights from Istanbul to Chengdu on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Return services will operate on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Flights will serve Chengdu Tianfu International Airport using Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft. Each aircraft will offer 300 seats, comprising 30 Business Class and 270 Economy Class seats.

To mark the route launch, Turkish Airlines is offering promotional fares starting at $540 for Economy Class and $1,991 for Business Class for travel between Istanbul and Chengdu. The airline said fares are available through its official website and may vary at sales offices and travel agencies.

Source: TradeArabia