Monday, 18 May 2026

US and Iran Race to Locate Missing Crew Member After Downed Fighter Jet

Published: Saturday, April 04, 2026
US and Iran Race to Locate Missing Crew Member After Downed Fighter Jet

Iranian and US forces were engaged in a tense race on Saturday to locate a missing crew member from a downed American fighter jet, marking the first such incident inside Iranian territory since the war began.

Tehran claimed responsibility for shooting down the US F-15 aircraft, stating it was destroyed by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Aerospace Force using advanced air defence systems. Iranian officials said the aircraft was completely destroyed and that search operations were ongoing. Local media also suggested that a reward would be offered for capturing any surviving crew member.

US media outlets reported that American special forces had successfully rescued one of the two crew members, while efforts continued to locate the second, who remains missing.

In a separate incident, Iran’s military said it had also shot down a US A-10 ground-attack aircraft over the Gulf. According to US reports, the pilot was safely recovered.

The US Central Command did not immediately confirm the loss of the F-15. However, White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt stated that President Donald Trump had been briefed on the situation. Trump later told NBC that the incident would not impact ongoing diplomatic efforts, saying the realities of war would not alter negotiations.

The conflict, now over a month old, began with US-Israeli strikes on Iran that reportedly killed Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. The escalation has since spread across the Middle East, disrupting global markets and affecting millions worldwide.

Iranian parliamentary speaker Mohammad Ghalibaf criticised the Trump administration on social media, mocking what he described as a lack of strategic direction.

Meanwhile, fresh strikes were reported across Iran, Israel, and Lebanon. Explosions were heard in northern Tehran, while US strikes west of the capital reportedly hit civilian areas. According to Iran’s Alborz provincial authorities, 13 civilians were killed and dozens injured in one such attack.

The ongoing exchanges have increasingly targeted economic and industrial infrastructure, raising concerns over global energy security. Iran has effectively restricted access to the Strait of Hormuz, a vital route for roughly 20 percent of the world’s oil and gas supplies.

Former Iranian foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, writing in Foreign Affairs, suggested Tehran could pursue a diplomatic resolution by limiting its nuclear programme in exchange for sanctions relief and reopening the strategic waterway.

Tensions have also spread to Gulf states. A drone strike on a Kuwaiti oil refinery caused fires, while another attack damaged a power and desalination facility. In Dubai, authorities reported minor damage from debris following an aerial interception, though no casualties were recorded.

In Lebanon, Israeli forces said they had carried out more than 3,500 strikes targeting Hezbollah positions since hostilities began. The Israeli military confirmed attacks on infrastructure in Beirut and the Bekaa Valley, including the destruction of key bridges.

Lebanon’s health ministry reported that at least 1,345 people have been killed and more than 4,000 injured since the conflict escalated. Hezbollah has not disclosed its casualty figures.

Source: Khaleej Times

German Airports Warn of Widespread Flight Cancellations Impacting Millions of Passengers

Published: Monday, May 11, 2026
German Airports Warn of Widespread Flight Cancellations Impacting Millions of Passengers

The Association of German Airports (Association of German Airports (ADV)) has issued a warning that the aviation sector may soon face widespread disruption as jet fuel supply pressures continue to intensify.

Speaking to the Sunday edition of Germany’s Welt newspaper, ADV chief executive Ralph Beisel said airlines are increasingly likely to cancel services, particularly low-cost carriers and routes considered less essential for tourism demand.

Beisel noted that under an optimistic outlook for 2026, passenger traffic would remain stable. However, he cautioned that a more severe scenario could see airport capacity fall by around 10 percent. Across the aviation network, that reduction could translate into disruptions affecting as many as 20 million travellers.

Such a decline would likely lead to certain destinations losing direct connectivity altogether, while others would see fewer available flights and higher fares due to constrained supply.

The association pointed to geopolitical tensions affecting global energy flows as a key factor behind the disruption. The conflict involving Iran has unsettled oil transportation routes through the Strait of Hormuz, contributing to rising jet fuel costs.

According to Beisel, jet fuel prices have remained at roughly double pre-conflict levels for more than two months, with no immediate relief expected. He added that even when fuel is available, current price levels make it difficult for airlines to operate many routes profitably, raising the likelihood of further schedule reductions in the months ahead.

Source: Oman Daily Observer

Europe Prepares Alternative Aviation Fuel Measures Over Supply Fears

Published: Monday, May 11, 2026
Europe Prepares Alternative Aviation Fuel Measures Over Supply Fears

Europe’s aviation sector is preparing contingency measures to address potential jet fuel shortages caused by escalating tensions in the Middle East, prompting regulators to approve broader flexibility in fuel use across the region.

The European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) announced Friday that supply disruptions affecting the Middle East and Arabian Gulf have impacted the availability of Jet A-1 fuel, the standard aviation fuel used throughout Europe. In response, regulators and fuel providers are assessing the wider adoption of Jet A fuel, a similar grade commonly used in North America, including for aircraft traveling to European destinations.

EASA issued updated operational guidance intended to help airlines, airports, and fuel suppliers safely manage the introduction of Jet A into European aviation systems. Although Jet A and Jet A-1 are closely related fuels, the agency noted that they differ in several technical aspects, including freezing point and electrical conductivity, which require additional safety precautions during operations.

The regulator cautioned that introducing Jet A into infrastructure traditionally designed for Jet A-1 could pose operational and safety challenges if the transition is not carefully coordinated across the aviation industry. EASA emphasized that effective implementation would depend on close collaboration between airports, fuel companies, airlines, and aircraft manufacturers.

The European Commission also released separate recommendations aimed at helping the transport sector respond to any future fuel supply disruptions linked to the Middle East conflict. While the Commission said there were currently no jet fuel shortages reported across the European Union, it stressed the importance of preparedness measures to maintain safe and uninterrupted flight operations.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) echoed concerns about the potential impact of prolonged regional instability on global aviation fuel supplies. Stuart Fox, IATA’s director of flight and technical operations, said allowing European carriers greater flexibility to alternate between Jet A and Jet A-1 fuel, similar to practices already used in Canada, could provide airlines with more operational options during supply shortages.

Fox said the transition would require strict operational oversight, particularly for flights operating in colder regions, where Jet A’s higher freezing point must be taken into account during route planning and aircraft performance calculations.

He also noted that airports and fuel suppliers would need structured procedures for introducing the alternative fuel grade safely, including updated handling processes, clear labeling systems, communication protocols, and enhanced quality control measures.

Europe has experienced increasing pressure on energy and aviation fuel costs as instability in the Middle East continues to disrupt shipping routes through the Strait of Hormuz. European refineries currently supply around 70% of the bloc’s jet fuel demand, while the remainder is imported, largely from Gulf nations.

Last month, International Energy Agency Executive Director Fatih Birol warned that continued disruptions could lead to jet fuel shortages across Europe within a relatively short period.

Source: Anadolu Ajansı

Saudi Arabia Opens Makkah Route Gateway in Morocco to Streamline Hajj Travel

Published: Wednesday, May 06, 2026
Saudi Arabia Opens Makkah Route Gateway in Morocco to Streamline Hajj Travel

Saudi Arabia has inaugurated a second gateway for its Makkah Route Initiative in Morocco, marking a further step in efforts to simplify pilgrimage travel. The new facility was opened at Rabat-Salé International Airport in the initiative’s dedicated hall.

The launch ceremony was attended by Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Morocco, Dr Sami Al-Saleh, and Morocco’s Minister of Endowments, Ahmed Toufiq.

The Makkah Route Initiative is designed to enhance the travel experience for pilgrims from participating countries by handling key procedures before departure. According to Saudi Press Agency, the programme allows travellers to complete formalities in their home country, beginning with the electronic issuance of Hajj visas and the collection of biometric data.

Authorities then finalise entry procedures through the General Directorate of Passports, ensuring that pilgrims meet all health and regulatory requirements at the departure airport.

The initiative also covers the organisation of baggage, with luggage coded and sorted based on pilgrims’ transport and accommodation arrangements in Saudi Arabia. Upon arrival, pilgrims are transported directly by bus to their residences in Makkah and Madinah along designated routes, while partner agencies oversee the delivery of their belongings.

Source: ZAWYA

Emirates Expands Cargo Network with New Toronto Freighter Service

Published: Sunday, May 03, 2026
Emirates Expands Cargo Network with New Toronto Freighter Service

Emirates SkyCargo has introduced a new weekly freighter service to Toronto Pearson Airport, enhancing cargo connectivity between Canada and the United Arab Emirates while supporting expanding trade ties between the two markets.

The additional service is expected to provide Canadian exporters with increased access to international markets, reflecting a steady rise in bilateral trade. According to Emirates SkyCargo, exports from Canada to the UAE grew by 24% between 2023 and 2024, driven by improved air links and strengthening economic relations.

Badr Abbas, Divisional Senior Vice President at Emirates SkyCargo, described the launch as a key step in the airline’s broader network expansion strategy. He noted that the Toronto route aligns with evolving global trade corridors and adds 100 tonnes of weekly export capacity, supplementing existing cargo space available on passenger flights.

The service also enhances connectivity beyond the UAE. On inbound journeys, the freighter will stop in Amsterdam, facilitating trade between Canada and the European Union. This segment is expected to support the transportation of pharmaceuticals, perishable goods, and manufactured products into Canada.

Toronto Pearson officials welcomed the development, highlighting the airport’s role as Canada’s largest air cargo hub, handling roughly 45% of the country’s total cargo volume. Chief Commercial Officer Kurush Minocher said the new service strengthens the airport’s position as a key gateway for global trade and offers businesses more direct and reliable shipping options.

Emirates has been operating passenger flights to Toronto since 2007, playing a significant role in facilitating trade. Since 2023, the airline has transported more than 11,000 tonnes of export cargo from Canada, underlining its growing importance in the country’s logistics network.

Source: ZAWYA

Qatar Civil Aviation Authority shuts down four travel agencies over regulatory breaches

Published: Wednesday, April 29, 2026
Qatar Civil Aviation Authority shuts down four travel agencies over regulatory breaches

The Qatar Civil Aviation Authority has taken action against four travel agencies, ordering their closure after they were found to be in violation of applicable regulations.

According to the authority, the decision reflects its continued efforts to reinforce regulatory oversight within the air transport industry and ensure strict adherence to national laws governing the sector.

The Air Transport Department, operating under the authority, said it is maintaining regular inspection campaigns targeting travel agencies and air cargo service providers. These checks are intended to verify compliance with established legal and operational standards.

Officials reiterated that the authority remains committed to strengthening monitoring procedures and improving enforcement measures across the industry.

The authority also urged all licensed entities to comply fully with relevant regulations and to avoid engaging in travel or air cargo operations without obtaining the required approvals from the competent department. It cited Article (3) of Law No. (3) of 2025, which governs licensing requirements and operational permissions in the sector.

Source: ZAWYA