Monday, 18 May 2026

US Launches Priority Visa System for 2026 World Cup Ticket Holders

Published: Friday, January 23, 2026
US Launches Priority Visa System for 2026 World Cup Ticket Holders
Top Stories

World Cup 2026 ticket holders can now book priority visa appointments to travel to the United States following the launch of the new FIFA Prioritised Appointment Scheduling System, known as FIFA Pass. However, questions remain over whether fans from all qualifying nations will ultimately be allowed entry.

The program, announced in November by US President Donald Trump, became operational on Tuesday. It was introduced partly to address concerns that citizens of certain countries whose teams have qualified might face delays securing visa appointments before the tournament.

According to the US State Department, receiving a FIFA Pass appointment does not guarantee visa approval. All applicants will still be required to undergo comprehensive security screening and vetting before any travel authorization is granted.

Citizens of countries covered by the US Visa Waiver Program, including most of Europe, the United Kingdom, Japan, and Australia, can travel to the US for up to 90 days without a visa and therefore do not need to use the FIFA Pass system. Instead, they must obtain electronic clearance through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

A senior State Department official said the new scheduling system would significantly reduce waiting times, noting that applicants in more than 80 percent of participating countries should be able to secure an appointment within 60 days.

“The appointment allows fans to demonstrate eligibility for a visa and confirm their intent to abide by US laws, including departing after the tournament,” the official said. “The safety of Americans and the integrity of our borders remain our top priorities.”

What about countries under the visa suspension?

Football supporters from nations affected by the recent suspension of immigrant visa processing will still be able to apply for temporary visitor visas for the World Cup.

Washington announced last week that it is halting the issuance of immigrant visas from 75 countries, 15 of which have already qualified for the 2026 tournament, including five-time champions Brazil. Another seven nations from the list remain in contention for qualification.

The State Department clarified that the suspension applies only to the issuance of immigrant visas and does not extend to non-immigrant categories such as visas for tourists, athletes, family members, or accredited media representatives.

The 15 qualified nations under the suspension include Algeria, Brazil, Cape Verde, Colombia, Egypt, Ghana, Haiti, Iran, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Morocco, Senegal, Tunisia, Uruguay, and Uzbekistan.
Countries still competing for qualification include Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, DR Congo, Iraq, Jamaica, Kosovo, and North Macedonia.

What about countries under the travel ban?

The halt on immigrant visa processing from the 75 countries officially took effect on January 21, following the expansion of the travel ban introduced earlier this month. The order bars nationals from affected states from entering the United States altogether.

Among those impacted are Haiti and Iran, both of which have qualified for the 2026 World Cup and remain under full entry restrictions. Ivory Coast and Senegal, also qualified, are subject to partial restrictions.

The State Department emphasized that a FIFA Pass appointment does not permit individuals who are otherwise ineligible to receive a visa, suggesting fans from those nations are unlikely to attend matches in the US.

However, exceptions to the travel ban remain in place for athletes, coaches, essential support staff, and immediate family members participating in official tournament activities. Spectators are not included in these exceptions and may still apply individually, though their visa eligibility remains subject to denial or entry inadmissibility.

The United States will host 78 of the 104 World Cup matches across 11 cities, with the final set to take place at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.

Oman Grants Citizenship to 226 Individuals Under Royal Decree

Published: Tuesday, April 21, 2026
Oman Grants Citizenship to 226 Individuals Under Royal Decree
Top Stories

Oman has approved citizenship for 226 individuals following the issuance of Royal Decree No. 46/2026 by Sultan Haitham bin Tariq. The decree was officially published in the Official Gazette on April 19, confirming the names of those granted nationality.

The decision aligns with the country’s nationality law, which outlines strict eligibility criteria for foreign nationals seeking Omani citizenship. Applicants are required to have legally resided in Oman for a minimum of 15 consecutive years, with annual absences not exceeding 90 days.

In addition, candidates must demonstrate proficiency in Arabic, maintain a clean legal record, and have no history of crimes involving dishonesty or breach of trust. They must also be in good health, free from communicable diseases, and able to prove a stable and lawful source of income sufficient to support themselves and their dependents. A formal pledge to renounce their original nationality is also mandatory.

The legislation includes specific provisions for spouses of Omani citizens. Foreign men married to Omani women may apply for citizenship after 10 years of continuous marriage and residence, provided they have children and meet all legal, linguistic, and financial requirements. Foreign women married to Omani men are eligible after eight years, while widows may apply after six years of residence following their husband’s death. Divorced women may also qualify under defined conditions, including prior marriage duration, residency, and the presence of children.

Citizenship can also be acquired by children through their Omani father, and in certain circumstances through their Omani mother, particularly if the father is absent, deceased, or unknown, subject to legal approval and residency requirements.

The law further outlines conditions under which citizenship may be revoked or withdrawn. These include obtaining another nationality in violation of regulations, submitting false information during the application process, or being convicted of crimes that threaten state security. Citizenship may also be rescinded if a naturalised individual resides abroad for extended periods without valid justification.

Strict penalties are imposed for fraudulent applications. Individuals found guilty of providing false information or forged documents to obtain or deny citizenship may face imprisonment ranging from one to three years, fines between 5,000 and 10,000 Omani riyals, or both, in addition to any harsher penalties stipulated under other applicable laws.

Source: gulfnews

Canada Immigration Rules Change from April 1: Visa Fees Increase, Work Permit Policies Updated

Published: Wednesday, April 08, 2026
Canada Immigration Rules Change from April 1: Visa Fees Increase, Work Permit Policies Updated
Top Stories

Canada has introduced a broad set of immigration policy changes effective April 1, 2026, bringing updates to visa fees, work permit regulations, and settlement programs as part of efforts to modernise its immigration system and better align it with economic priorities.

The latest measures affect a wide range of applicants, including temporary workers, permanent residents, and families seeking to reunite in the country, while also placing greater emphasis on regional labour needs and administrative efficiency.

One of the most noticeable changes is the increase in government service fees. The cost of passports, including the widely used 10-year adult passport, has been raised, alongside higher charges for citizenship applications. Authorities say the adjustments are intended to reflect rising operational costs and to support improved processing services.

Canada has also introduced more flexible provisions under its super visa programme, allowing parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to stay for longer durations with simplified requirements. The update is expected to strengthen family reunification and make long-term visits more accessible.

In a significant policy shift, provincial governments have been granted expanded authority over immigration selection. This move allows provinces to better address local workforce shortages by tailoring immigration streams to meet specific economic demands, particularly in sectors experiencing labour gaps.

Changes to work permit rules are another key highlight. The government has introduced measures aimed at encouraging foreign workers to take up employment in rural and less populated regions, where labour shortages remain persistent. Employers hiring through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program will now be subject to stricter requirements to prioritise domestic recruitment, including youth employment, before seeking foreign labour.

Additionally, authorities have extended access to settlement services for newcomers, enabling immigrants to benefit from employment support, language training, and community integration programmes for longer periods. This is expected to improve long-term integration outcomes and workforce participation.

Further adjustments have also been introduced at the provincial level. Some provinces, such as Saskatchewan, have expanded the scope of immigration-related fees to include additional categories of applicants, particularly foreign workers, reflecting increased demand for regional immigration pathways.

The reforms also include administrative improvements designed to streamline application processing, reduce delays, and enhance digital services. Immigration authorities have indicated that these changes will help manage growing application volumes while maintaining service standards.

Overall, the new rules signal Canada’s continued effort to balance economic growth with sustainable immigration. While applicants may face higher costs and stricter compliance requirements in certain areas, the updated framework offers greater flexibility, improved services, and increased opportunities—especially for those willing to work and settle outside major urban centres.

Source: timesofindia

Kuwait Offers One-Month Extension for Visit Visas and Three-Month Leave Permits

Published: Wednesday, March 04, 2026
Kuwait Offers One-Month Extension for Visit Visas and Three-Month Leave Permits
Top Stories

The Kuwait Interior Ministry announced on Wednesday that it will extend visit visas for an additional month, as well as leave of absence permits for three months, in light of the ongoing circumstances.

Starting from February 28, 2026, all visit visas that have expired or are nearing expiration will be automatically extended for one month. During this period, individuals will be exempt from any fees or penalties associated with the extensions, given the current situation.

Additionally, expatriates currently outside Kuwait will benefit from a three-month automatic extension for their leave of absence permits. This extension will be processed without requiring in-person visits or payment of fees.

The ministry also indicated that the exemption period could be further extended, depending on the evolving circumstances.

Source: Kuwaittimes

Canada and UK Citizens Can Visit China Visa-Free Starting Feb 17

Published: Sunday, February 15, 2026
Canada and UK Citizens Can Visit China Visa-Free Starting Feb 17
Top Stories

China confirmed that citizens of the United Kingdom and Canada will be able to visit the country without a visa beginning February 17, in a move intended to boost travel and cultural exchanges. The new arrangement will remain in place until the end of the year, the Foreign Ministry announced on Sunday.

The decision follows separate visits to Beijing in January by UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer and Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney, both of whom sought to reset relations with China and explore areas of cooperation. During their meetings with President Xi Jinping and other senior officials, both sides agreed to advance initiatives, including visa-free travel.

Under the policy, holders of ordinary British and Canadian passports can stay in China for up to 30 days without applying for a visa. The exemption applies to trips for tourism, business, family visits, cultural exchanges, or transit.

Beijing described the measure as part of broader efforts to make cross-border travel easier and promote closer people-to-people ties with other countries.

Travel update: Armenia opens visa-free access for UAE residents

Published: Sunday, February 15, 2026
Travel update: Armenia opens visa-free access for UAE residents
Top Stories

The Republic of Armenia has unveiled a temporary visa‑exemption policy that allows residents of the United Arab Emirates from 113 eligible countries to enter Armenia without a visa until 1 July 2026, officials confirmed. The initiative is designed to make travel simpler, boost tourism, and strengthen Armenia’s ties with global visitors and expatriates.

Under the new policy, foreign nationals who hold a valid UAE residence permit — in addition to those issued by Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, the United States, European Union member states, or Schengen Area countries — can travel to Armenia without a prior visa.

To qualify, the residence permit must be valid for at least six months from the date of entry and presented either as a physical card or as a passport sticker. Once admitted, travellers can stay in Armenia for up to 180 days within a one‑year period, offering flexibility for extended visits for tourism, business or family purposes.

This temporary exemption scheme is part of Armenia’s broader effort to enhance accessibility and attract international visitors throughout the first half of 2026. The policy applies to a wide range of nationalities across Africa, Asia, Latin America and other regions, including major countries such as India, Pakistan, Egypt, the Philippines, Malaysia, South Africa and Sri Lanka, among many others.

Armenian officials have emphasised that the measure is intended to streamline entry procedures, support the tourism sector, and encourage cultural and economic engagement with travellers from diverse markets. The Armenian Tourism Committee highlighted the move as a clear signal that the country is open and welcoming to global visitors in 2026.

How It Works in Practice

Eligible travellers planning to take advantage of the visa‑exemption should:

  • Ensure their residence permit is valid for at least six months from the intended date of arrival.

  • Carry the original physical permit or passport sticker when entering Armenia.

  • Plan their trip within the exemption timeframe (1 January – 1 July 2026).

Border authorities may require that the permit display key personal details — such as name, nationality, date of birth and validity dates — in Latin script to facilitate verification.

Armenia has gradually expanded its visa‑free arrangements in recent years. It introduced visa‑free travel for citizens of the UAE in 2017, followed by similar measures for Qatar in 2019 and Kuwait in 2022. Direct flights between Armenian cities and the UAE, operated by carriers such as flydubai, Air Arabia and Wizz Air, have further strengthened travel connections.

Located at the cultural crossroads of Europe and Asia, Armenia has become an attractive destination for residents of the Gulf region. With scenic landscapes, centuries‑old UNESCO‑listed monasteries, burgeoning culinary offerings and a lively arts scene, the country offers diverse experiences for both short breaks and longer stays.